Monday, September 25, 2017

DAY 23

The workers continued and finished the plastering of walls on Saturday but I did not drop by as I was working. We visited last night with Em to have a look but it was too dark to take any photos. So I went this morning to drop two notes off for our neighbours and to take some photos of the house after 23 days of work has been poured into it.
Last night when we went over, we discovered a note from our neighbour slotted under our main door. He very politely asked that we ask our contractor to shut the doors to the gas and water meter closets because an occasional gust of wind will slam it shut and create a startling bang. He also asked that they clean up a bit more after they are done for the day. He noticed that the area outside his door was more dirty and so was the common area at the lift landing. I think all his points are valid and wrote a note back to him to say that I would ask the workers to be sure to do all that he asked for. He took pains to make the note sound as friendly as possible and didn't want to create any tension. 
The other note was for the neighbour right below us. The man doing waterproofing testing in the two bathrooms wanted to access their bathrooms to make sure there wasn't any leakage in theirs. He said he knocked on their doors on Friday but no one answered and I said I would write a note and leave it for them in the hope that they would respond. But when I dropped off the note this morning, I noticed that their gate was full of junk mail, including the card I'd left there to introduce ourselves and to let them know that our renovations would be starting. My conclusion was that there's no one there. The unit is unoccupied at the moment and we would not be able to do the waterproof testing. 
The 'Saying Hi' card was strewn on the floor. I put it together with my note and re-slotted it at the gate of the unit below us.
From left: the living, study and two doors leading to the kids' rooms.
The pocket door wall has been plastered and is looking nice. View from Em's room.
View from Meg's room. Now we just need to wait for the installation of the door for it to be completed.
The air-conditioning trunking is huge and ugly but I suppose it can't be helped as it has to house a few insulated pipes. I believe this on will be hidden within the wardrobe in the master bedroom.
The master bedroom with nicely plastered walls.
The newest addition to the scene over the weekend was the arrival of the parquet teak  strips  (the dark centre mound in the middle)
I like the tone of the wood and of course, the smell.
I'd mentioned to our contractor that we wanted a darker toned wood if possible because everything else was going to be in light oak.
Why No?
I think the rooms are going to smell and look good once the parquet has been laid.
All these bits and pieces of construction material are so crucial. Amazing how these little parts come together to become a beautiful and essential part of the whole.
The timber door frame protrudes a few millimetres out from the wall. I wonder how it will be flushed with the wall in the end, or won't it be?
Pano shot of Meg's and Em's rooms with the pocket door in the foreground. View from Em's room.
Pano shot of Meg's and Em's rooms with the pocket door in the foreground. View from Meg's room.
Meg's main room door in the centre and pocket door to Em's room on the left.
Waste and water pipe outlets in the bathroom. The floor was flooded over the weekend to test for waterproofing but by Monday morning, it had mostly evaporated.
Cement strengthener. Never knew all these materials existed! It's all quite interesting!
The plaster wall external angle or angle beads which I mentioned in my last post.
This single tap is where the workers get their water to do their work. 

No comments: