Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Lull Period

Last Friday morning, I bought some kaya, cheese and floss and some other buns - the type with 9 squarish ones joined together which you can pull apart - for the workers and left it on one of the cement bags, and another carton of 12 bottles of 1.5L pet bottles of water. I've asked myself why I do this. Is it to keep them happy so they will do a better job on the house for us? Is it just wanting to feed them with a snack in case they're hungry? MJ says it becomes an expectation if I do it too often and I shouldn't buy them something everytime I go over. I agree, cos it all adds up. I guess I do it for all of the above reasons, though there is really no way to tell if the food translates into doing a better job. Anyway, I really do it because I appreciate a snack (I'm a serial snacker) when I'm hungry or just feeling peckish and I know the workers appreciate the gesture because I had one worker ask me for a 'repeat performance' when he saw he one day! Anway, I went back on Saturday afternoon and found the bread where I'd left it! Since it was already the afternoon, I assumed there wouldn't be any work done over the weekend. I didn't want to waste the bread - it was already more than a day old - but there were no grass cutters to give them to anymore and I just left it on the public bench at the void deck, hoping that someone would take it. I didn't go on Sunday since I assumed they wouldn't be working and went instead on Monday at lunchtime, with a bag of 10 curry puffs in tow. The gate was locked and there wasn't a soul in sight! STILL NOTHING! Aiyoh! What is this? No work done since last Thursday! Again, I had to figure out what to do with 10 curry puffs and I decided not to buy anymore food going forward. I took the puffs back to my mum's and she gave it to her neighbours. I think all in all this happened 4 times already, buying food when they weren't there to eat it, so I shall stop with this practice. I will just supply them with water. This morning, I didn't bother going inside the house cos I could see that nothing had been done because of the no show from last Friday until Monday. I suppose the workers have other projects on hand and can't be working on mine the whole time. 

No comments: