Sunday, April 19, 2009

759


This is one 7.59 shot I made two weeks ago of a foreign worker picking up trash from a field in Sengkang. I'm not sure if it'll see the light of day, but I kinda like it so I'm posting it. I figure it shouldn't be a problem since no one reads my blog anyways! For those of you who don't know what 7.59 is, it's a regular photo we run in ST every Monday in the prime pages. The origins of 7.59 comes from its pioneer and creator, the great George Gascon. When he was still at ST, he organised a photo get-together on Sunday mornings at, yes, you've guessed it, 7.59am. This particular time was favoured because it was within the 'golden hours of light' and a sane enough time for everyone to wake up and show up. I personally never did make it for any one of these sessions because I was at Church Sunday morns, but I think it was a great idea. What started out as a get together shootout session followed by breakfast culminated in a photo exhibition of the pix shot on that project. I still remember George's photo of this aunty holding up a pair of oversized panties to her waist to try it out. That photo will always be etched in my mind. It is truly a fantastic picture that only George could have captured. Well, since George left, I believe the efforts diminished as well but it's been resurrected in the form of this photo column, with the idea mooted by my colleagues who were part of the 7.59 group. It's been getting some good responses but it's not quite that easy to get nice pix all the time, at 7.59. But I think we've been doing a pretty decent job so far...and hope that we continue to surprise readers on Monday mornings.

No comments: