Wednesday, July 31, 2013

BANGKOK - DAY 2 (Saturday, 27 July 2013)

Food has been the highlight of this trip. I've taken photos of almost everything we've eaten. I thought I'd be photographing a lot more street scenes since I don't have the kids with me, but on the contrary, I haven't shot much. I think I've lost the drive to shoot. Such a sad state. I don't know if I'll ever get it back again, but I sure hope I do. I've been desk bound too long... I still love photography, just need the motivation to get back to it. 
So we started off the day with breakfast at the noodle shop opposite the hotel. Our room booking doesn't include breakfast and we would've had to pay about S$25 for their buffet breakfast. Firstly, it's too expensive and secondly, one tends to eat a lot at buffets so we decided to forgo it and explore the breakfast places around the hotel instead. 
We had tom yum mee sua (95฿) for breakfast. After we both ordered that, we noticed that everyone else was eating the beef noodles in dark brown broth. While our dish was good, I wondered if I should've ordered the beef noodles instead. Broth always sounds delicious. It's cheaper too, and that's probably why almost everyone ordered it.


It's quite spicy but a good morning 'wake up call' for me. I love tom yum!

There are holes in the table where you sit your bowl firmly. How quaint!

Ah... my all time favourite snack...crispy fried pork skin!

My philosophy: Just don't think about how unhealthy it is, just how good it tastes! It always works for me! hahahahaha!

We headed for Chatuchak immediately after breakfast. I've always wanted to get there at 9am when the stalls open, but have never managed to. We got there at around 11am and it wasn't as crowded as expected. Apparently, this is the low season during the monsoon months from May to October... either that or Singaporeans are planning their visit over the long National Day weekend. Methinks it's more like the latter. 

The trains were generally not crowded, an exception on a weekend.

Standalone screens have popped up along the train platforms, a good advertising revenue. No doubt we'll see them eventually on or MRT platforms too.

The clogged overhead bridge connecting Mo Chit BTS to Chatuchak.

We decided to head to the exit away from the crowded one to avoid the human traffic jam. 
I will never tire of going to Chatuchak. Every trip to Bangkok must stretch over a weekend just for this. We usually go on both days, Saturday and Sunday as one day isn't enough time. I sorta know which section sells what type of stuff, but of course I still have trouble finding a shop I've been to before and want to visit again. It's just such a maze! But it's such an a-maze-ing place!

Shooting these pix more for generics than anything else! I'm sure they will come in useful later on...

This place has 15,000 stalls, and receives 200,000 visitors each day!

If you can't find what you want at Chatuchak, you probably can't find it anywhere else in Bangkok!

There's a mall that's come up opposite Chatuchak on the Or Tor Kor side. I wonder if it will affect business at Chatuchak much. I personally don't think so, but we'll see. It will be open by the time we next visit.

Paella! This is new. There used to be just local Thai food available but now there's greater choice!

We stopped at this dessert and drinks stall with a quaint old display cabinet full of old tins like Ovaltine and Milo probably from about 20 years ago at least! It was very interesting to see them again.

The stall serves delicious coconut ice cream with 3 toppings of your choice. 

This is our friend Nit, whose shop we visit every time we are at Chatuchak. We've patronised her t-shirt store since our first few trips to Bangkok. Between MJ and I, we probably have at least 20 t-shirts we've bought from her store, called "Feel Good". Each one of her designs is original. Her husband, who takes care of another shop in Section 4 at Chatuchak, designs most of them, and draws very well. This time, we happened to stumble upon her husband's shop too and popped in to talk to him, even though we've never met him before. He shared his philosophy of life with us and was very passionate as he spoke. At times I thought he was going to tear. We asked them why their logo is a dog with an aeroplane for its eye. I can't quite remember exactly what they said but it goes something like this: In Thai folklore, when a dog looks up to the sky, it means that there is a longing, like a dream that hasn't yet been fulfilled or something that hasn't been achieved yet. 








No comments: