Thursday, March 18, 2010

Bangkok - Day 6

Today was probably the least fruitful day we've had so far. We went to Platinum mall, located just opposite Pratunam. It's a haven for wholesalers and I saw many Singaporeans there. The place was extremely crowded and one just had to make a quick round or end up spending the entire day there. It was there that I realized I don't like shopping for clothes at all! They have all kinds of stuff there, and if you buy at least three pieces from a shop, they give it to you at 'wholesale' prices, which could mean significant savings. A top I bought would've cost 390B if I'd bought just one piece but it went for 250B for three. That's just about S$11. For me, I had to persevere to find some much needed clothes as I've outgrown my old ones.
After that, we went on to Thong Lor, at Sukhumvit Soi 55 to revisit some of the places we've been to before, namely, H1 and Playground. H1 - a small cluster of minimalist styled modern white buildings with a Zen look and feel - was quiet as usual, and pretty lifeless.
This restaurant, named 'To Die For' has got good reviews but we never did try it.


There is a Basheer bookstore there but they don't carry many photography books.
Then we walked to the former 'Playground' which used to be a center for design but it too didn't survive and it's now called 'Midtown Thonglor'. Both places didn't really inspire and we probably won't make another trip out there again. We tried to look for another shop called 'Shades of Retro' but we could not find it. My mistake was not having the hotel staff write the address out for me in Thai. It's a pity that we missed it. Tomorrow is our last day here. We leave really early on Saturday morning.
A cowboy cobbler along Thong Lor

No comments: