Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Indigo Girls Live at the Mosaic Festival




I attended the Indigo Girls concert last night (Monday) and it blew me away. The duo, Amy Ray and Emily Saliers brought the house down with their immaculate guitar skills and their first-rate, world class singing. This is why the concert business will never die. NOTHING can replace listening to good music and great singing LIVE. Not even the best recording on high end CDs heard on the best headphones can beat hearing the pure, crystal, rich sounds of artistes you love in the flesh, their voices reverberating in the wonderful Esplanade Concert Hall. I walked out of the concert on a high, after the duo performed like true artistes, entertaining their fans by giving their all, no holds barred.
I'm ashamed to say I did not know that many of the 15-odd songs they sang. But I love the five that I know pretty well and they performed four out of those five. I'm not a hardcore fan, but I loved the concert all the same. My all time favourite, 'Power of Two', which I first heard on the movie 'Boys on the Side' back in the 90s is still a song I love til this day. A little trivia : the Indigo Girls even made a cameo on the movie!
The crowd was a good one, though there were obviously many caucasians who attended. You've got to give it to them, they livened up the concert with their wolf whistles and enthusiastic responses to every song, which I'm quite sure spurred the duo on. I think they were quite surprised with the responsive fans in their first ever concert in Singapore. It made me regret a little that it almost always boils down to the ang mohs to let their hair down, get up and dance uninhibitedly while us locals just wiggle our butts in our seats. Well, cultural differences I suppose.
I'm so glad I managed to catch the once in a lifetime performance. MJ went with me. He's not a fan but enjoyed their guitar playing. The duo swapped guitars after every song and probably played more than 15 guitars between the both of them! Joyce and Lynda went too. We went for dinner at Gluttons Square after the concert. It was a really enjoyable evening.

No comments: