Tuesday, December 3, 2013

USA - Day 3

Sunday, 10 November 2013
We headed out the door very late today and by the time we got into SF it was just past 1pm. I've always wanted to go to the De Young museum but missed it again this time because there was enough time for just one museum, either the De Young or the California Academy of Sciences (CAS) both of which are across from each other near the Japanese Tea Garden at the Golden Gate Park. The De Young building resembles a rusty aircraft carrier clad in copper and when I saw it back in 2007, I told myself I had to visit it. The building in itself is not beautiful but attracted my attention. MJ thought the kids would enjoy the CAS better so I had to sacrifice De Young. I will surely visit it the next time I'm in SF. 
Great light on the living roof, an open-air observation terrace which enables visitors to get a close-up look at the roof's lush canopy of plants.
A moody Meg. Love the dome roof behind her.
The light and shadows were incredible. I tried to capture it but didn't do a very good job.
This was a very cool hands-on station where we could feel the silky coat of a real leopard coat and hold the skeleton of a hippo's mouth!
A tiny orange poison dart frog.
I have no idea what this plant is... but it shows my compact camera's ability to capture some fine details!
I believe this is a gliding reef frog.
This is what's underneath the dome of the living roof.
At the rainforest exhibit inside one of the domes.
Guess what they're staring face to face with? A clue: It's green and slithery.
A seahorse preserved in a jar.
A sea urchin at the aquarium. One of their star exhibits is the albino alligator but we missed that! We didn't have time and were chased out because they were closing. We spent too much time in the toilet after Emma accidentally pee-ed in her pants!
At the entrance of the museum, after it closed at 5pm. It gets dark before 5 in the winter.
 We had a pretty quiet day and managed to squeeze in a drive to Twin Peaks after dark, just before we headed back to San Jose for a feast prepared by Uncle Jim. On the menu was lobsters so I couldn't miss that! The view of the city lights at twin peaks was impressive. However, it was difficult to linger to soak it in because it was just way too cold! The kids couldn't take it and waited in the car after a quick glimpse.
A lovely view from the peak, at Christmas Tree Point. It was freezing windy cold and I had to operate the camera with my numb fingers. I believe that diagonal, well lit road on the left third of the pix is Market Street. It was the most obvious road from the peak.
Chef Jim preparing a sumptuous meal for us and Aunty Oi Lin getting everything else ready.
What a treat and a lovely way to end the day!

No comments: